Does Stress Negatively Affect the Skin?
The skin is the largest organ in the body, and it is also one of the most sensitive. Stress can cause several problems for the skin, which is why it should always be properly managed. At Keys Dermatology of Islamorada and Key West, FL, our providers encourage patients to pay close attention to their stress levels and how it negatively affects the skin's health and appearance. In addition, it can cause certain existing conditions to worsen. The following conditions and factors may be linked to stress:
- Acne is one of the most typical skin problems, and it is often exacerbated by stress. When stressed, your body produces more hormones that can lead to breakouts. If you already have acne-prone skin, stress can make it worse.
- Psoriasis is another condition that can be made worse by stress. Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder that causes red, scaly patches on the skin. Stress can trigger flares or make them last longer.
- Eczema is a problematic and chronic skin condition that causes dry, itchy skin. Like psoriasis, eczema is an autoimmune disorder, and stress can worsen it.
- Stress can also cause premature aging of the skin. When you're stressed, your body produces more of a hormone called cortisol. Cortisol breaks down collagen, a protein that helps keep skin firm and elastic. Over time, it can lead to wrinkles and sagging skin.
- In addition to the physical effects of stress on the skin, it can also have an emotional impact. Stress can cause anxiety and low self-esteem, worsening skin problems.
Request an appointment at Keys Dermatology today
It's essential to find effective ways to manage stress to keep your skin and mind healthy. If you are dealing with stress and are unhappy with the changes in your skin, it might be time to work with a dermatological provider to discuss your concerns. Call 305-296-3334 to schedule an evaluation with our team at any office location. We are open to both new and established patients looking for quality dermatological care in the areas of Key West and Islamorada, FL.