What Causes Acne Breakouts?
Most individuals are familiar with acne and the red pimples and bumps caused by it. But did you know that there are certain triggers that can cause acne to flare up? Our dermatologists at Keys Dermatology in Islamorada and Key West, FL, are here to help educate you on the causes of acne and what can be done to improve it.
What causes acne breakouts?
There are many factors that can contribute to acne breakouts, including:
- Hormones. Hormonal changes during puberty or pregnancy can trigger acne breakouts and can be managed as it occurs for many patients.
- Medications. Sometimes, medications like corticosteroids can cause a flare-up in acne. Your doctor may be able to provide an alternative medicine that addresses your medical issue without worsening acne.
- Diet. A diet high in sugar or dairy products may also contribute to breakouts, as found via various health studies and trials. Monitoring what you eat and reducing or avoiding empty calories is also good for your body as well as your skin.
- Genetics. If you have one or both parents who struggled with acne as a teenager or an adult, you have a much higher risk of developing acne as well. Knowing your family history and medical conditions that may be genetic can help you prepare for specific issues that may arise with time.
- Stress. Patients under significant stress may find that their acne conditions worsen during this time. Reduce stress by getting enough sleep, managing stressful situations healthily, and even considering meditation to calm the body and mind.
Dealing with flare-ups
If you are prone to breakouts, it is vital to take extra care of your skin and avoid anything that may trigger a flare-up. Know your triggers and manage your skincare regimen appropriately, and talk to a dermatologist at Keys Dermatology to determine the best way to keep the skin clean and healthy!
How do I learn more about managing acne?
Whether you need a definitive diagnosis of your condition or you have difficulty managing your acne, it may be time for you to consider the benefits of working with an experienced dermatologist in the Key West and Islamorada, FL area. Call Keys Dermatology at 305-296-3334 to request an appointment with one of our professionals to educate yourself further on acne management.