What is recovery from a chemical peel like?
Chemical peels have been used for decades to improve skin texture and tone. At Keys Dermatology, we have a nice selection of chemical peels for patients to choose from. Some patients have mild skin issues and can benefit from a more superficial, lighter chemical peel, while other patients might want more dramatic results and might ask for a deeper, more aggressive peel. During a consultation appointment with our doctors at Keys Dermatology in Islamorada and Key West, FL, patients can discuss their desires and treatment goals and our team can make an educated decision regarding which type of chemical peel is best. While the treatment itself is short, patients can expect to spend some recovery and downtime as the skin heals afterwards.
What to expect after a chemical peel
There are many different strengths of chemical peels, so it is important that you talk to your dermatologist about the specific experience you may have afterwards. Mild peels will have a different recovery than more aggressive, deeper peels. Below are just a few of the things you may notice after your first chemical peel:
- Mild and short-lived side effects, including redness, swelling, or flaking of the skin
- Peeling of the skin, which is how this treatment got its name!
- Better results with each additional chemical peel
- Your skin may be sensitive so avoid makeup while the skin is healing
- Adjustment in your skincare routine until your skin has fully healed
- More sensitivity to sun exposure, so avoid or wear high SPF sunscreen as directed
- A breakout of acne, though skin should clear up after a few days and appear healthier
Schedule a visit with Keys Dermatology today
Our doctors are here to assist with a wide range of skin concerns, including working with patients considering ways to enhance their skin’s appearance and health. If you reside in the areas of Key West and Islamorada, FL and want to speak to our professionals about your skincare needs, call (305) 296-3334 to request a visit at either of our facilities. We are open to new and returning patients interested in enhancing their skin and improving its overall texture and tone with chemical peels.