How can Botox Help With my Skin Care Routine?
Botox has become one of the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatments, and in addition to its many benefits, it can also help give your skin care routine a boost.
What is Botox?
Botox is a cosmetic treatment that’s derived from a toxin that’s produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. When it is used in small, pure amounts for therapeutic treatments, it can provide a wide variety of benefits.
Botox injections can be used to help treat migraines, neck spasms, an overactive bladder and more. Its most common use is for treating the facial muscles that cause wrinkles and fine lines in the forehead and around the eyes.
How Does it Work?
This treatment works by blocking the signals from the nerves to the muscles, which makes muscles that are injected with Botox no longer able to contract. The injections cause the wrinkles in treated areas to relax and soften.
The effects of Botox last about four to six months, so you’ll need to have additional treatments. However, the muscles are trained to relax over time, so your lines and wrinkles will look less severe.
What Are the Benefits of Botox?
Botox treatments provide the following benefits:
- Is effective at treating lines and wrinkles around the eyes, between the eyebrows, and on the forehead
- Boosts confidence
- Creates a more youthful appearance
- Is minimally invasive
- Has a long history of safety and effectiveness
- Is usually well tolerated and causes few side effects
- Is relatively inexpensive
- Can be used to treat a wide variety of conditions
- Causes minimal discomfort
- Requires no anesthesia
- Typically takes less than 20 minutes to have performed
- Results appear quickly
- No downtime required after treatment
How Can Botox Help with Your Skin Care Routine?
You’ll need to refrain from putting too much pressure on your face for 24-48 hours after your Botox treatment. After that, you’ll find that Botox can help your skin care routine in the following ways:
- Fewer products- You may be able to use fewer products after Botox injections since they may also make your skin less oily and reduce the size of your pores, which can reduce breakouts.
- Sensitive skin products- Your skin may be more sensitive after your treatment, so you may want to consider trying products designed for sensitive skin.
- Moisturizer- An ultra-hydrating moisturizer can enhance the skin-smoothing effects of Botox. Look for ingredients like glycerin and hyaluronic acid.
- Retinol- Using retinol (either by prescription or over-the-counter) can help your skin look plump and glowing.
- Sunscreen- Use sunscreen with at least an SPF of 30 every day to help prevent the formation of new wrinkles after your treatment.
If you’d like to find out more about Botox and how it can improve your skin, make an appointment today with Keys Dermatology in Key West and Islamorada, FL for an initial consultation. We provide the highest quality of dermatological services and give each person personalized attention and treatment.